I'm interested in science. Is there a job in biotech for me?
California is fortunate to be home to approximately 30% of all U.S. biotech companies with more than 400 in the San Diego/Imperial Region. The wealth of bioscience companies means that there are many rewarding job opportunities. Here are some resources to help focus your search.
How do I get more information on Careers in Biotechnology?
Click on the following links...
- ...to get information on student internships
- ...to research biotechnology job opportunities in California
- ...to learn about training and education opportunities
- ...to view up-to-date job postings in the biotechnology industry
What is an internship?
Work experience is one of the most valuable tools to finding a good job. Internships provide work experience, while being mentored by an experienced member of the industry.
- Are a way to get on-the-job practice in job skills
- Are a way to find out more about the industry
- Can last a few weeks or up to a year
- Can be paid or unpaid
Miramar Amgen Teacher Support Center
The Miramar Amgen Teacher Support Center's mission is to inspire, educate and prepare students and teachers in the Life Sciences. MATSC offers both high school and college internships through the Life Sciences Summer Institute program. Please visit MATSC's website for information on internship opportunities.
What is a Registered Apprenticeship?
An apprenticeship is NOT an internship. Apprentices are overseen by the California Division of Apprenticeship Standards. Apprentices receive a living wage while receiving on-the-job training, along with a classroom component. Included in the apprenticeship program is preparation and testing to receive an industry recognized certificate.
Clinical & Regulatory Apprenticeships...
- A partnership that produces Qualified, Credentialed professionals
- Structured on-the-job learning (18-24 months duration)
- Approved and Monitored by the State of California's Division of Apprenticeship Standards
To learn more about these apprenticeships, visit Research Services Foundation