Work Experience is a program that awards college credit for on-the-job learning experiences for students employed in a job or internship related to a career-oriented major. Many Work Experience courses are associated with certificate and degree requirements. The goals and assignments for completion of the courses are formulated with the student and their employer under the direction of the college instructor assigned to teach Work Experience. The grading system is the same as for other subjects offered by the college and the time spent for preparation and training is also comparable.
Student Learning Outcomes
Students will be able to:
- Apply critical thinking, research, analysis and resolution for work-related objectives.
- Convert classroom instruction to the employment environment through the development and attainment of three (3) learning objectives.
- Develop and apply competencies in the workplace and within course-related activities.
Are you interested in taking a Work Experience Course?
Step 1: Check the class schedule and contact the instructor
- Go to the online class schedule
- Search for Work Experience courses
- Select Miramar under College
- Type Work Experience under Keyword
- Courses are numbered 270 or 272
- Contact the college instructor by email (clicking on their name will open an email) to let the instructor know you're interested and to ask about next steps to enroll in the course
Step 2: Ensure you have a job or internship prior to enrolling in the course
Step 3: Get ready for the course
- View Online Orientation
- View SMART Goals YouTube video
- Take Online Orientation Quiz
- Complete Online Sexual Harassment Training
Step 4: Follow instructions from the Work Experience instructor to complete registration
- Check your email often
- Respond to all requests from your Work Experience instructor timely
Step 5: Enjoy learning while you're earning!
Important Forms & Information
- Student Handbook: Outlines the program requirements, responsibilities, and expectations.
- Application: Initial application for participation in Work Experience courses. Completed and signed by student and employer/site supervisor as initial step in participating in Work Experience courses and submitted to Work Experience Coordinator once position is secured.
- Learning Agreement: Includes learning objectives and must be signed student, instructor, and worksite/supervisor. Includes three measurable job-oriented learning objectives. Refer to the Learning Objectives Resource Guide and Worksheet for help writing learning objectives.
- Cumulative Work Record: Utilized throughout the semester and completed by the student. Completed by the student and submitted to the instructor.
- Unpaid Work Experience Volunteer Form: Required for all unpaid work experience. Completed by student and signed by Work Experience Coordinator/Instructor and Risk Management.
Work Experience Coordinator:
Laurie Vasallo-Dusa | M-107B | email@example.com | 619-388-7703